Harwood Union Middle/High School Library
Collection Development Policy
The Harwood Union Library collection development policies are designed to meet the needs of the school community. As such, the following are taken into consideration:
- Enrollment – Special Education classes, ELL classes, Advanced Placement and Regular Education classes.
- Reading levels of all students
- Demographics and Economically Disadvantaged classification
- Professional Development required by the Administration
- Parent Enrichment
Each school in the Washington West Supervisory Union is charged to design their policies by the needs of their patrons.
The Harwood Union Library collections are evaluated and developed collaboratively to support the Washington West Supervisory Union Curriculum and to meet the diverse learning needs of our students. Evaluation of print and non-print materials will be ongoing. In collaboration with the entire school community, the Harwood Union Librarian and Library Assistant will generate collections that promote high academic achievement and a love for reading.
Selecting Library Materials
Books and other media selection are based on the Harwood Union Midde & High School curriculum, student reading and interest levels, student and faculty input, and current library inventory.
Selection Tools include:
Library Collection Assessment
Tools are utilized by the Harwood Union Librarian to assess the condition and relevancy of the current library collections. Through the Library’s ILS (integrated library system), Destiny by Follett, the Harwood Union Librarian is able to run statistical reports on the books. These reports include: aged or outdated materials, duplicates, lost or very overdue copies, and a comparison of the collection to similar high school collections. Titlewave is used to to study a large choice of materials to meet the needs of the school.
De-Selecting/Weeding Library Materials
De-selection, or weeding, is one of the most essential aspects of collection development. It is necessary to weed unsuitable and unnecessary materials. A plan for continuous, methodical weeding is implemented to keep shelves relevant and up-to-date.
To learn more, please see “Weeding Your Collection” by Ramona Kerby and published by the School Library Journal.
Discarding De-Selected Items
The disposal of weeded items depends upon the content, condition, and appeal. The Harwood Union library staff will attempt to donate discarded materials. Items in good condition with correct and non-bias content will be:
- Offered to faculty and staff
- Offered to students
- Offered to the community
- Offered to other school libraries (duplicates)
- Offered through a book sale, using proceeds to purchase new materials.
- Biased or incorrect content materials will be discarded.
Resources to Better Understand De-Selection
- Buckingham, Betty Jo, and Barbara Safford. Weeding The Library Media Center. Second ed. Des Moines: State of Iowa Department of Education, 1994.
- East Carolina University. De-Selection Guidance Document for Liaison Librarians. East Carolina University.
- Kramer, Pamela. Weeding: A Part of Collection Development. Illinois State Library Media Association.
- Lamb, Annette, and Larry Johnson. “Information Access & Delivery: Collection Maintenance & Weeding.” School Library Media Specialist
Procedure for Handling Formal Reconsiderations of Literature and Instructional Materials
- If a complaint is not resolved informally, the complainant will be supplied with a packet consisting of the HUUSD policy on selecting library materials and the procedure for handling formal reconsiderations of literature and instructional materials. This packet also will include a request for reconsideration form, which shall be completed and returned before consideration will be given to the complaint.
- Issuance of the request for reconsideration form shall be reported to the building principal.
- If the request for reconsideration form has not been received by a faculty member within two weeks, it will be considered closed.
- No questioned materials will be removed from the school pending a final decision. Pending the outcome of the request for reconsideration, however, access to questioned materials can be denied to the child (or children) of the parents making the complaint, if they so desire.
- Within thirty days of receipt of the request for reconsideration form, the strengths and weaknesses of the material will be weighted and an opinion will be formed based on the Selecting Library Materials policy.
- The librarian will notify complainant of the decision and send a recommendation with an explanation to the principal. In answering the complainant, the librarian will explain the book selection process, provide the guidelines used for selection, and cite authorities used in reaching decisions. If it is decided to keep the work that caused the complaint, the complainant will be given an explanation. If the complaint is valid, it will be acknowledged and recommended changes will be made.
Request for Reconsideration of Library or Educational Resources
Harwood Union has delegated the responsibility for selection and evaluation of library/educational resources to the school library media specialist. There are established reconsideration procedures to address concerns about those resources. Completion of this form is the first step in those procedures. If you wish to request reconsideration of school or library resources, please return the completed form to the librarian of the school.
- Resource on which you are commenting:
____ Book ____ Textbook ____ Video Recording ____ Display
____ Magazine ____ Library Program ____ Audio Recording
____ Newspaper ____ Electronic information/network (please specify)
____ Other: ___________________________
- What brought this resource to your attention?
- Have you examined or read the entire resource?
- What concerns you about the resource? (use additional pages if necessary)
- Are there resources you suggest to provide additional information and/or other viewpoints on this topic?
- What would you like the library to do about this book/resource/material?
Widget - vol_m81s - gvrl