How to Search: Chronicling America
Chronicling America is a free, digital newspaper resource that provides access to historic newspapers from all over the nation, as well as information about American newspapers published from 1690 to present. Millions of full – text, keyword – searchable newspaper pages published between 1836 and 1922 are available at this Library of Congress website.
1. At the top of the screen, under Search Pages, select Vermont from the All States drop-down menu. Select the time period you’d like to search.
2. Type in your keyword into the search box and click Go.
When searching for an individual by name, try the Advanced Search option.
– Type the complete name of the person in the “…with the phrase” box.
– Make sure to select the state and date range from the drop-down menus.
To search by newspaper, select the All Digitized Newspapers tab.
– Search by state.
– Click on Earliest Issue to reorganize the newspapers by date
To print, select the scissor icon in the right-hand corner above the newspaper.
To email or save, copy/paste the URL of the newspaper. This is located above the image.
Widget - vol_m81s - gvrl